History of Calvary United Methodist Church

In 1856, during the nostalgic era of the minuet and the Virginia Reel, a group of devout men and women, inspired by the energetic leadership of such men as R. H. Lyell, James Lamkin, William B. Beauchamp, William A. Bryant, R. H. Forrester, and many others, meeting as one of the Methodist Societies of the Northern Neck, organized themselves into what is known as Calvary United Methodist Church of Emmerton, Va.

Once a part of the Westmoreland Circuit of the Rappahannock District, this new church became the nucleus of what was to grow in a few short years into a circuit composed of Calvary, Hopewell and Oakland Churches and was known on the Virginia Conference records as “Marvin Grove Circuit.” In 1876, when Warsaw Church joined the group, the name was changed to “Richmond Circuit” (including all the Richmond County Methodist Churches).

A letter, written by James Lamkin to his friend James Bell of Missouri, informs us that R. H. Lyell and James Lamkin undertook the building of Calvary Church on a parcel of land sold to the congregation by R. H. Lyell for the total sum of $5.00 and that the sanctuary was completed at a total cost of $2,500.00. The church was dedicated a year later free of all debt.

The original church building comprises the main sanctuary of the present edifice and its worshippers still sit on the same handhewn pews which were originally installed. In the rear of the church sanctuary, tablets on the wall suitably commemorate some of the men, who in years gone by, were the religious leaders of their church and community.

The Quarterly Conference records kept in order by Edwin Lyell, Recording Steward for the Richmond Circuit, furnish us with the information that William B. Beauchamp was granted a local preaching license at a quarterly meeting held in Calvary Church October 17, 1891. He rose from a humble beginning to the highest office which the Methodist Church can bestow upon one of its ministers: he was elected a Bishop of the Methodist Church in 1922.

Another member of Calvary Church to leave for the ministry was Edgar Davis of the Farnham area. After serving several pastorates in the Virginia Conference, he became a Navy Chaplain and remained in that capacity for 30 years when he retired.

It should also be noted that Calvary Church made a unique contribution to Methodism by sending two additional men, born in Richmond County at different times, to the Virginia Conference. These four who entered the Methodist ministry were John Jacob Clark; and George Thomas Forrester (1878-1952).

The records are incomplete and some lost but many persons coming out of Calvary Church have left their mark, and made contributions to the advancement of the Kingdom of God. Some of the names found in the original records have never died out but are perpetuated in this church today.

From the origin of the church in 1856 until 1964, Calvary Church had only three men who served as Sunday School Superintendent, namely A. H. Yeatman, R. H. Forrester, and W. N. Simonson. Each one of these devout men served over thirty years apiece in that capacity.

In 1953 under the pastorate of the Reverend Kidd, the steeple and vestibule were added and the chancel were extended to form the present choir loft. In 1954 under the pastorate of the Reverent Leon Whitley, a new addition was added on to the rear of the Sanctuary to provide adequate classrooms for all age groups. Also added were rest rooms, a modern kitchen, and a large fellowship hall to serve the needs of the church and community.

At the time the steeple was erected a cross was placed on the top and in later years was spot-lighted so that it would be visible at night. It has become a landmark to all who pass by. One interesting fact is that an unknown passerby several years ago sent the church a contribution to help keep the cross lit. He said he always looked for it every time he passed by.

 

Source: Richmond County Virginia Review: Commemorating the Bicentennial 1976